Commercial Door Glass Lite Kits
Commercial Door Vision Lite Windows
Vision lites are glass windows installed on either commercial hollow metal steel doors or commercial solid core wood doors. They get their name because they help provide visibility for pedestrians using the doors. This can prevent pedestrians from accidentally opening the door and hitting another pedestrian attempting to enter the room. They also can provide additional light to any room.
Types of Vision LitesVision lites vary in sizes, glass types, and frame types. As an example our Triton vision lites come in two models: Cressida and Titan. The Cressida is our most popular vision lite kit and comes with heavy duty vision lite frame. While the Titan model is designed with slimmer profile frame.
Depending on your application will determine the glass type used in the vision lite. Our Triton vision lites come in clear tempered glass, fire rated pyran glass, and fire rated wire safety glass. Each glass type has it's own benefits.
Triton Vision Lite Tempered Glass:
This glass is heat treated clear safety glass. It is tempered, so if it breaks it is designed to break into very small particles. It's light transmission is approximately 86%. The glass thickness is 1/4". Vision lite tempered glass is not fire rated.
Triton Fire Rated Wired Glass:
This glass type is constructed with wire mesh embedded into the glass. It is annealed single glazing with a safety film applied to one side. The light transmission is approximately 86". The glass thickness is 1/4". The glass is fire rated.
Triton Fire Rated Pyran Glass:
This glass type is a glass ceramic. It is surface applied with a heavy duty safety film. The light transmission is approximately 80%. The glass thickness is 3/16". The glass is fire rated.
Vision Lite Window Common Sizes
Vision lites come in a variety of sizes. Below are the common vision lite sizes found on commercial hollow metal doors and solid core wood doors.
6" x 27" Vision Lite
Glass Size: 5" x 26"
Visible Glass: 4" x 25"
100 Sq In Visible
7" x 22" Vision Lite
Glass Size: 6" x 21"
Visible Glass: 5" x 20"
100 Sq In Visible
12" x 12" Vision Lite
Glass Size: 11" x 11"
Visible Glass: 10" x 10"
100 Sq In Visible
24" x 24" Vision Lite
Glass Size: 23" x 23"
Visible Glass: 22" x 22"
484 Sq In Visible
24" x 30" Vision Lite
Glass Size: 23" x 29"
Visible Glass: 22" x 28"
616 Sq In Visible
24" x 64" Vision Lite
Glass Size: 23" x 63"
Visible Glass: 22" x 62"
1364 Sq In Visible
How To Measure Your Vision Lite Window In A Hollow Metal or Commercial Wood Door
Although vision lites may look complicated, they can actually be measured quite easily for replacement or new installation in a commercial hollow metal or solid core wood door. Remember that vision lites are designed for commercial doors that are 1-3/4" wide.
For New Installation:
1. First determine what size visible glass you wish to have on your commercial door. The visible glass area will determine the vision lite frame size and rough opening door cut out that will be required. You can use the chart below for the most common vision lite glass sizes below.
2. The rough opening door cut out can be calculated in two ways:
Door Cutout = Visible Glass + 2"
Door Cutout = Glass Size + 2"
For Replacing An Existing Vision Lite:
1. Measure the visible glass size. The vision lite order size can be calculated below.
Vision Lite Order Size = Visible Glass + 2"
The diagram below can be referenced to help determine any door cut out, glass size, or visible glass size measurements.
How To Install a Vision Lite Window
1. Cut out the door according to the manufacturer's proper procedure.
2. Install the glass and glazing material into the lite kit. All glazing tape to be applied between the vision lite frame and glass.
3. Carefully place the outside portion of the vision lite frame into the door cut out.
4. Carefully place the inner portion of the vision lite kit into the door. Start all screws.
5. When tightening screws follow a criss-cross pattern. This will ensure even tension across the entire vision lite frame.
Painting the vision lite
Use a scotch-brite pad to scuff the finish on the vision lite frame. This will ensure the best bonding for any paint that is used.